Sunday, January 29, 2006

Paging Through "People"

The wife brought home a copy of People magazine last night, so this morning I afforded myself the opportunity of waltzing through its contents. Some thoughts:

o Page 62. Just like I passed on the chance to watch Brokeback Mountain, I skipped the article on real life gay cowboys. Anyway, isn't putting Ang Lee, Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry and Jake Gyllenhaal in the same room like hitting for the cycle of boring?

o Page 96. Look at Angelina Jolie's left forearm. She must be snapping off Brad something fierce. Happy endings notwithstanding, I think we can agree that whatever the goals of "Yele Haiti", boots-on-the-ground results remain elusive.

o Page 91. "Mehmet Ali Agca, 48, who shot Pope John Paul II in Rome in 1981, was released from an Istanbul prison Jan. 12 after serving 25 years for that crime and the 1979 murder of a Turkish jounalist. The Pope, who died last April at 84, forgave Agca in 1983." Two things: 1. I thought Turkish justice was supposed to harsh. 2. I dig "in 1983." The Pope spent two years thinking about how'd he'd like to fuck up that Turkish motherfucker who took a shot at him. Good Pope!

o Page 78. Shelley Winters bit the dust. It don't mean nothing to me, but I did have a conversation with the ghostwriter of her autobiography who told me she used to fart up a storm while they were "writing," yet insisted on keeping the windows closed. He said her gas bombs were so nasty they brought tears to his eyes.

o Page 70. The 12 Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards are on TNT Jan. 29. "The award show where only actors vote for actors." I'm being serious as a heart attack here - and I know I'm not the first dude to express such sentiments - but I'd rather watch my dog take a shit. This thing is a joke, right?

- Brian Moore

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home