Thursday, January 26, 2006

An Interview with Ben Gazzara


Gazzara.

A bold name. A man's name. And the surname of actor Ben, perhaps the finest Italian-American actor of his generation - or any other.

Born Biagio Anthony Gazzara, the Manhattan native has enjoyed a six-decade career in the motion picture and television business, but in spite of the "glitz and glizz," as he puts it, of the show business industry, his heart has never strayed far from his Lower East Side, Sicilian roots.

"I'm as Italian as confetti," Gazzera, his trademark baritone as resonant as ever, told limitedthinker's Brian Moore. "And you can quota me on that."

Over dinner recently, Gazzara reflected on his life and work, thoughts he's generously agreed to share with the reader of this blog. The interview will be presented in installments over the coming weeks.

But a sampling:

On blogging:

Gazzara: What is this for again?

Moore: It's for my blog.

Gazzara: Blogs... Blogs... What are those? Wait - they're those computer deals where people write whatever they want and no one reads 'em, right?

Moore: That's about it.

Gazzara: Aw, fuck it. It's Monday.

On Judiasm:

I like Judiasm. What's not to like? Look, getting pissed off about Jews in Hollywood is like getting pissed off about midgets in Oz. Good people. Tough negotiators. I like Jews, but what's more important is... Jews like me. I'm vigorous. We Italians have a word for it - macho.

On Elaine Stritch:

I balled that broad for - what? - two years. Jesus. What was I thinking?

Coming next... Gazzara shares his memories of his "most watched" film, Road House with Patrick Swayze.

- Brian Moore

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home