Monday, January 16, 2006

A Cinematic Adventure

T'is a rare day when I venture to the "multiplex," a Frankenstein monster of a word culled from missappropriated classical language used to denote a collection of movie theaters. As with everything else, Americans's chimpanzee-like attention span demands a plethora of options, cinematic and otherwise, lest their minds boggle at the idea of staying with one thought or narrative for longer than it takes to savage a female in the throes of estrus. Thus they construct multiplexes with a minimum of a dozen theaters, and thus on those occasions I'd like to see a movie, it's the multiplex where I am forced to go.

I saw King Kong yesterday, and I must say it was capital! Of course, the titular character evoked a wonder I'd never experienced at the cinema. The gorilla here was spectacularly well-trained - I've fired servants who were less agile than this lithesome beast - indeed, so much so the emotions he mimicked, a vast, rangy span running from displeasure to rage, seemed to mirror those I admire so much in myself. Furthermore, while I'm not an expert in the optical arts, I imagine the work done with mirrors to make what in the wild would be eight feet tall seem 25 on screen must have been of the pioneering variety. On a similar note, only the Lord knows what dark mechanical prestidigitations enabled the filmmakers to create long-dead beasts of the Cretaceous Period with such dextrous fidelity. Bravo! One would think there'd be lucrative military and police "spin-offs" for this kind of technology - just imagine the look on a rioter's face when confronted not with a reluctant bobbie but a savage, if robotic, Tyranosaur - but such things are beyond my purview.

It almost goes without saying that movie's female lead, Naomi Watts, was fetching in the extreme. My nephew, about whom I'll have more to say later, tells me she's Australian, news which came as a distinct surprise. For me, it's always been a race to the bottom between Americans and Australians as to which was the most vulgar of England's cast-offs; every time one hits the depths of savagery, the other proceeds to roll up its sleeves for the hard work of digging even deeper. Which will emerge first in China is anyone's guess.

But Miss Watts possesses a velvet hold upon my being. I emerged from the theater with her in my thoughts and since then, particularly when in the shower or alone in front of my computer, my thoughts continue to turn towards her, aggressively. Cinephiles should keep on eye out for this young lady. No doubt she has a future as a popular movie star!

As for my nephew, he has aspirations to be a part of the movie industry; as such, they provoke a sigh in me, followed by a swift rap on his head from my walking stick. I tell Winston that many of my teachers at the prestigious Hempston Bridge school no doubt wanted to sodomize the young boys under their authority, but these pederasts had the good sense not to parade it as a lifelong ambition. One must adopt a similar attitude with the flicks. If he thinks he can make money as a silent partner in a film, more power to him. But first he must inherit the money.

- Twimbley Duddleston IV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home